Get it by email!

Search This Blog

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Rockport Assessor Resigns Cites Town's Economic Uncertainty

I'm not sure why the town's uncertainty has anything to do with her leaving.


It's probably more benefits and money, less travel, politics and whatever.....

 

 

Rockport — Rockport Assessor Judy Mathiau delivered her resignation Feb. 18 and said she plans to assume a similar post with the town of Winslow in mid-March. Her last day in Rockport will be Thursday, March 4.

"It is with the greatest heartfelt emotion that I must submit my resignation as the Rockport assessor," she wrote in her letter to Town Manager Robert Peabody.

She noted her longtime association with Rockport, having worked as the town's assessors' agent from 1993 to 2000 before moving to Camden, and then to Augusta where she worked in Maine's property tax division. She returned full circle to Rockport three and a half years ago, happy to be rehired by a town for which she has great affection.

"I missed assessing and when the Rockport job opened up, I wanted to come back," she said Feb. 18. "I knew the staff -- Bruce [Woodward, Rockport fire chief] and Steve [Beveridge, Rockport public works director] would be here, and that for me was huge."

But she said the Winslow job offered more in salary than Rockport, and a shorter commute from her home in Vassalboro.

"I have a strong connection with the town of Rockport," she wrote in her resignation letter. "I have expressed this to the taxpayers through my dedicated service and I have communicated this to the other department heads. I have completely enjoyed by employment here over the past three and half years."

But she also raised the specter of budget cuts affecting municipal careers.

"With the fear of impacts on the upcoming budget through reduction in clerical support, insurance coverage and no increases in salary, the opportunity for advancement both personally and financially is necessary and timely," she wrote.

http://knox.villagesoup.com 



No comments:

Post a Comment