Get it by email!

Search This Blog

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Rockland Maine Surplus Shrinks Sharply -- Marc Charles Opinion




It's amazing to me.


Most of the people responsible for managing a town or city's finances rarely see or respond to rising trends.


If they do respond...it's usually a day late and a dollar short.


I think government and politicians get it wrong most of the time.


For example......


I wrote about how the town of Rockland would be caught with their pants down when the housing market bubble crashed, tax revenues stopped or slowed down  significantly. This would lead to all kinds of problems, including budget shortfalls, dumping services, cutting education, and so forth.


Almost no one agreed with me.


I wrote about the Town of Rockland's lack of understanding and foresight in 2005.


Here is is 2010....and all of the above is taking place. 


I'm not a forecaster, economic guru or expert in town government. But I am a successful entrepreneur. I know how things work in the real world. Government is not the real world.


Hey.....I even talked about how stupid it was to buy brand new firetrucks, police cruisers, dump trucks and hundreds of other products "at the peak". Because these items could be purchased in fabulous condition...USED....for ten cents on the dollar in 2010 and beyond when the Depression unfolds in earnest.


Almost no one agreed with me. 

In fact, one city worker told me "We don't care how much something costs, we buy what we need when we need it". Oh really.


Well....I hope Rockland's problems continue and people walk with wisdom. Maybe this means privatizing most of the government's services. But this will NEVER happen. 

Government workers, now close to the majority, will make sure this concept never sees the light of day.


Anyway...here's the story....

By Stephen Betts

Rockland — The city's use of surplus and the receipt of less revenues than expected combined to cut the city's year-end balance.

The audit compiled by certified public accountant James Wadman of Ellsworth pegged the city's surplus as of June 30, 2009, at $647,250. This was $298,647 less than the surplus held a year earlier.

http://knox.villagesoup.com/news/story/rockland-surplus-shrinks-sharply/321564

No comments:

Post a Comment